Skip to content

Bute dominates Johnson

Image: Lucian Bute: extended unbeaten record to 30 fights

Lucian Bute defended his IBF super-middleweight title for the 10th time with a landslide points win over Glen Johnson.

Latest Boxing Stories

Champion keeps perfect record with landslide points success

Lucian Bute maintained his unbeaten record and defended his IBF super-middleweight title for the 10th time with a one-sided unanimous decision over Glen Johnson in Quebec City on Saturday night. Bute, the 31-year-old Canadian-based Romanian, won every round on two of the judges' cards (120-108), while the third judge scored it 119-109. "It was a great fight and a great performance for me," said southpaw Bute (30-0), who saw his string of six consecutive KOs snapped. "Glen Johnson is a great fighter. To beat him, you have to avoid the jab. I did that and I tried to out-jab him. I have to be able to beat guys like him." Johnson, 42, injured his right arm during the contest but opted to continue to the bitter end.

Different opinion

The Jamaican, who has now lost five of his last nine fights in an overall record of 51-16-2, claimed the judges had been duped by Bute's strong local support. "I think I won the fight," said Johnson. "I beat him with one hand. "It's tough to win in your opponent's hometown because as soon as he does one little thing, the crowd goes crazy instead of paying attention to what the punches are telling you." Meanwhile, in Hollywood, Florida on the same night, Panama's Guillermo Jones kept hold of his WBA cruiserweight belt courtesy of a sixth-round technical knockout of Mike Marrone. Jones knocked Marrone down in the fifth and sixth rounds at the Hard Rock Live Arena to improve his career mark to 38-3-2.